fixed fees – home visits – LPA

 1.   Receiving care

If you are going into residential care or need care at home, who will help you to sort your money and manage your financial affairs?

–       Surely the best person would be the one you have chosen yourself.

–       You can only do that by making an LPA

–       You must set up an LPA now before it is too late (otherwise  you have no choice in who it will be)

If you have a relative or friend who needs care, talk to them about setting up a Lasting Power of Attorney now. An LPA will make it much easier for you as the carer to manage  care needs and make sure the best level of care is received.

Consider a Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare

 2.   Develop Dementia

1 in 3 people over 65 will develop Dementia. No one can help manage your money on your behalf unless you appoint an Attorney to do so by making a Lasting Power of Attorney. Someone would have to look after your money in some way so it is best to appoint the person you trust and get your affairs in order should this time come.

3.      Stop someone you don’t want to be involved

Sometimes we all have help from someone who means well but you would rather it was not that person or someone who is trying to interfere when you do not want them to. The way to ensure this does not happen to you is to make a Lasting Power of Attorney and appoint the person you DO want. You can then give them instructions about how to use it and when not to use it. YOU give the authority and YOU are in control for as long and as much as you can and want to be.

4.   Peace of mind / Plan ahead

No one can ever know what is around the corner. Any one person could have a stroke, develop dementia, fall ill abroad, have a fall, be in hospital or go into residential care. All these things can happen with little or no warning. It can be difficult to admit that you may need help either now or in the future. But it is so much better for you and your loved ones if you plan for might and could happen. It will give you peace of mind to know that you have done what you can.

5.   Save money

If you don’t have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place and you need one due to loss of mental capacity then the only way your family or friends can help you is by being appointed as a Deputy by the Court of Protection. This is a very lengthy and expensive process. The initial application fee alone is £400 and fees can range up to £2,000 or more which comes out of your money.  The person appointed is chosen by the Court not by you. At this stage you have very little or no say at all.

If you would like more information about making a Lasting Power of Attorney or you would like a home visit to discuss this further please contact our expert solicitors today – We can advise you on LPAs for Property and Affairs and LPAs for Health and Welfare


Telephone: 0800 294 3065