A former electrician and Birmingham resident, Mr Roger Prince died of mesothelioma, an asbestos related cancer, leaving his wife Carol.  Roger and Carol moved to Spain in 2016 to live out their retirement in the sun but sadly Roger was was diagnosed with the cancer in 2019.

He worked at a Birmingham company called Dowding & Mills Limited as an apprentice electrician in the Electrical Contractors Department in Camp Hill, Birmingham. Most of the work he did was out on site and he worked for the company between 1959 and 1962. 

One of the jobs Roger recalled working on during the course of his apprenticeship was the installation of a substation in the Turner & Newall Factory in Kettlebrook, Tamworth,  Staffordshire in 1962.  The factory manufactured corrugated  asbestos sheeting and Roger worked there for around 3 months installing the electrics from and to the substation and on to the machinery in the factory. Throughout this period Roger was inhaling large quantities of dangerous asbestos dust whilst working in and around the plant and machinery.

The tumour in Roger’s lungs grew and his breathing symptoms continued to deteriorate, with increasing pain, until he sadly died in December 2020.  Throughout his illness Roger never gave up hope and was willing to try whatever treatment was offered to him.  He underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy but mesothelioma is an aggressive illness and Roger could not be saved.

Both Dowding & Mills Ltd and Turner & Newall were large employers of local people in Birmingham and surrounding areas. We are looking for anyone who may have worked with Roger or who worked at either of the companies during the 1960’s and would ask them to come forward to assist Roger’s family seek the justice they deserve.

If you can help, please contact us on freephone 0800 294 3065 and ask to speak with Steven Evans.