Mrs Duffy has agreed a settlement in her claim made following the tragic loss of her husband Terry who worked for the Post Office as a Message Relayer at Electra House.  He was exposed to asbestos whilst working night shifts during the replacement of ceiling tiles.

Terry is very sadly missed by his family who nursed him through the difficult illness mesothelioma.

Terry’s exposure took place between 1951-1968 during which time the dangers of exposure to asbestos became known.

The first medical case of death due to exposure to asbestos was a textile worker Nellie Kershaw in 1924.  Her death from asbestosis was reported in the British Medical Journal.  She contracted the condition as a result of her work for Turner Brothers Asbestos in Rochdale.

This led to a parliamentary inquiry and the passing of the first asbestos regulations in 1931.  These regulations were largely ignored by industry and asbestos exposure continued for many decades.

Jennifer Wood, Associate Solicitor says  ‘Proper attention should have been paid to this deadly substance back in 1931 when the dangers were known.  If strict controls had been enforced at that time, many thousands of lives would have been saved’.

Mr and Mrs Duffy’s daughter, Deborah Pittaway said ‘The support that Ms Wood gave my Mother, my sister and myself throughout the claim was without doubt over and above what we had expected.

Her sensitivity to our personal loss was clear but at all times was this matched with her professionalism and insight into this awful disease and the impact upon my Father, Terry.

Whilst the process was at times distressing it has been made easier by Ms Wood and her support was valued always. We would without reservation recommend WE Solicitors to anyone embarking on this difficult journey.’

If you would like to discuss making a claim for asbestos illness, call our freephone number to speak to one of our solicitors on 0800 294 3065.