WE Solicitors have recently won settlements on behalf of two widows whose husbands were employed by the world renowned British Rail. Both men had different jobs and worked in different locations, the one thing they did have in common was that they were both negligently exposed to asbestos by British Rail which lead to a diagnosis of Mesothelioma and their premature death.  Both men sadly left behind their wives and children.

One of those gentleman, Mr G, was employed by British Rail from 1974 until 1978 as an Asbestos Remover. He was based in the Wolverton Works, Wolverton in Milton Keynes.  As an Asbestos Remover his job involved removing asbestos from the inside and underneath of railway carriages. He had to use a broom to sweep the asbestos out and into a pit. He would then hose down the pit and clean the remainder of the asbestos from the carriages and cabin by hand. Despite water being a good method to reduce the amount of asbestos fibres released into the air, Mr G was instructed not to use too much water as it would damage the electrics of the trains.

He was provided with protective clothing but unfortunately he was still exposed to enough asbestos to cause Mesothelioma. Health and Safety was not as stringent as it is today so it was not mandatory for him to wear the protective clothing every time he was in contact with Asbestos and although it was know that asbestos could be harmful to health, Mr G was not made aware of the dangers associated with Asbestos exposure.

In February 2003 Mr G emigrated to Australia.  In October 2017 he and his wife had just returned from a trip of a lifetime around South America but within 36 hours of arriving home, Mr G was admitted to hospital for tests. These tests ultimately resulted in his diagnosis of Mesothelioma, a diagnosis that devastated the couple who had been looking forward to spending their retirement together.

When Mr G was diagnosed his consultant remarked on his excellent health and he was selected for drug therapy which, if successful, may have prolonged his life.  Sadly Mr G’s health drastically deteriorated after one round of the treatment, and not even a full cycle of chemotherapy.  He tragically passed away on the 11 January 2018 aged just 70 years .

As soon as WE Solicitors were instructed to act on Mr G’s behalf we took a detailed account from him as to his work history via Skype/Facetime and immediately requested his medical records and commissioned a report from an expert in this field.

Mr G had always carried out all the maintenance work around the family home and, with the help of his wife who was very forthcoming with information throughout the case, we were able to include a claim for further maintenance that needed to be done to their home both inside and out, including their garden.

The Defendants were notified of the claim and within a few days they admitted their negligence.  This case settled within 12 months for an undisclosed sum and without the need for court proceedings.

If you or anyone you know is suffering from an asbestos related illness please contact us on 0800 294 3065 to discuss how we might be able to help claim any compensation to which you may be entitled.