WE Solicitors LLP have recently negotiated a settlement amount of £240,000 for a former BT employee. Our client was employed as a telegrapher at Electra House in London between 1961 and 1988 in what was then the General Post Office or GPO. This later became BT.
He recalled the working practices in Electra House and in particular the fact that when telegrams were received and typed out they had to be placed onto an overhead belt system which would run through the ceiling and up to another department to be transferred on. The belt system would jam on a regular basis and a member of staff or an engineer would have to remove the blockage from the belt system and in doing so would disturb the asbestos ceiling tiles in the office. The tiles would often break releasing asbestos dust and fibres onto the staff below.
Nobody at the GPO was ever advised of the dangers of asbestos exposure. The fibres lay dormant in the lungs for up to 40 years and victims are diagnosed with asbestos related illnesses decades after the exposure took place. Sadly in this particular case our client contracted mesothelioma, an incurable cancer caused through asbestos exposure.
When dealing with cases of such a specialist nature, it is imperative than an expert solicitor is appointed to act. Due to the sensitive and serious nature of these cases we feel it is important that despite the distances that may be required to travel, our clients can put a face to the person dealing with their claim and we visited him at home in the South West on a number of occasions throughout his claim.
In fact when our client first contacted us Steven Evans the solicitor who dealt with the case was holidaying in the local area with his family and travelled to see the client during his holidays to ensure he received full and proper advice.
Steven Evans who negotiated the settlement of this matter said “This type of claim is becoming more and more commonplace. When I first started dealing with these types of cases, the disease was confined to those who had been heavily exposed to asbestos in an industrial setting, but more often we are dealing with office workers, hospital staff and people where the exposure is not altogether obvious. This type of exposure can be overlooked and this is one of the reasons why it is essential to use specialist solicitors on these types of cases”.
Our client’s daughter who assisted her father in dealing with the case said Steven Evans handled my father’s mesothelioma case incredibly well – he is an outstanding solicitor and he goes out of his way to help. The service at WE is friendly and efficient.