WE Solicitors have managed to obtain £130,000 for the widow of Mr Peter Carr who sadly passed away in January 2010 from lung cancer. Mr Carr was employed by Vickers Armstrong as an Apprentice Electrician at Vickers Naval Shipyard in Newcastle from 1950 to 1955.
As an Apprentice Electrician working on board ships he was exposed to asbestos dust. His duties involved installing cables in the ships and connecting electrical devices such as light fittings, plug sockets and different machinery.
He also completed “Pulling” which was a term used to describe pulling cables by hand off the large rolls that they were stored on and into position onto the steel cable trays. He was covered in asbestos dust whilst undertaking this job. The process of pulling the cables through disturbed the asbestos dust which he inhaled. Pipework was insulated with asbestos lagging at the same time as the cables were being installed and whilst working alongside laggers, Peter Carr was exposed to asbestos dust.
No personal protective equipment, ventilation or extraction methods were used. As a result of Mr Carr’s exposure he was diagnosed with lung cancer in July 2009.
Asbestos related lung cancer cases can be difficult to settle favourably as often the condition isn’t linked to working conditions decades ago. After specialist fibre analysis at Llandough Hospital, Cardiff it was accepted that Mr Carr had been exposed to sufficient asbestos fibres throughout the course of his employment with Vickers.
Despite working for the company in the 1950s the risks of asbestos were well known and employers were advised to reduce the risk of injury to their employers by minimizing asbestos exposure.
Mr Carr passed away before being able to provide a witness statement, however he kept a diary all those years ago and the details were evidenced in the claim. Mr Carr was a resident at St Catherine’s Hospice in Scarborough at the time of his death. The cost of care provided by the Hospice was also recovered as part of the claim.